Pages

Wednesday 18 December 2019

Week 1 Day 4 Summer Learning Journey 2019 - 2020

WEEK 1 : PHYSICAL LIMITS
Sport and Exploration
DAY 4: INDIVIDUAL PURSUITS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 1: Making a Racket  [4 points]
Billie Jean King, Venus Williams, and Serena Williams are three exceptional, female tennis players. They are not only outstanding athletes and some of the best tennis players in the world, but they have fought for women to be recognised as equals to men in the game of tennis. Billie Jean King famously beat a male tennis player, Bobby Riggs, in 1973, to prove to the public that women could compete at any level in tennis.

Billie Jean King was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame in 1987, received the Presidential Medal of Freedom and was recently awarded the BBC Sports Personality of the Year - Lifetime Achievement Award.

For this activity, watch these videos about Serena and Venus Williams.
On your blog, tell us three things that you learned from watching these videos, as well as one thing you would still like to know.
*Remember to attribute any images that you borrow from the internet or from other people.
*Please check out the Eye-Catching Blog Posts page for ideas!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 1: Making a Racket  [4 points]
Task Description : This week I am learning about how to finish a task within a time frame as well as doing the task propley and also to have fun . This task was all based on the William Sisters Venus and Serena. I know I was suppose to do three facts but this task reminded me of the Compare and Contrast but I did it like Amelia Earhart and Jean Batten but with Serena William and Venus William!!! Enjoy:)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Activity 2: What’s in a Name? [4 points]

Muhammad Ali was one of the greatest boxers of all time. He started boxing when he was 12 years old and went on to become the World Heavyweight Champion numerous times in the 1960s and 1970s.
Muhammad Ali was an African American man born with the name Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr. When
he was a young man, however, he became a Muslim and converted to Islam. When he converted, he changed his name to Muhammad Ali. During his life, Ali gave a lot of time and money to various charities. He also helped to feed more than 22 million people across the world who didn’t have enough food. Despite all of his charitable work, Muhammad Ali is still best known for his agressive boxing style, his confident personality and his inspirational quotes.
Changing your name is a big deal! If you were to change your name, what would you change it to?
For this activity, imagine that you were allowed to change your name to anything that you wanted.
On your blog, tell us what you would change your name to and why you would choose that name.
*Remember to attribute any images that you borrow from the internet or from other people.
*Please check out the Eye-Catching Blog Posts page for ideas!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: What’s in a Name?
Question - If I got the chance to rechoose my name and change it to something else what name would I choose? Answer - To be honest I wouldn't want to change my bit not even a single bit because I actually love my name because my name got given to me by my parents! Why do I want to keep it? My parents agreed on using and putting my name after the Lily Flower but instead that had putted 2 L's instead of 1 so that made up half of my name Lilly leaving the Ana which is the other half of my name , I got it from my half of my Mum's name so half of her name got put in my name to create my name Lillyana!!
Image Attribution - Lily Flower
Task Description : This week I am learning about how to finish a task within a time frame as well as doing the task propley and also to have fun . If you don't know me well here is a fun little background story of my name. I know I was suppose to make a new name for ourselfs but I liked and loved the way my name is and the story behind it all!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Worth her Weight in Gold [6 points]
Dame Valerie Adams (half sister of basketballer, Steven Adams) is a shot put champion from New Zealand (NZ). She has won the World Championships four times as well as both gold and silver medals at the Olympics. Here, in New Zealand, she has won the Halberg Award for New Zealand Sportswoman of the Year seven consecutive times (2006-2012)! She is a bit of a legend both in NZ and in her homeland of Tonga.
Valerie Adams is a proud Tongan New Zealander. You can see her wearing a ta’ovala in the photo. There are many Tongans living in New Zealand - you may be one of them! The Kingdom of Tonga is
a group of 169 islands in the Pacific Ocean. It is located between Fiji, Samoa and Niue. Here are some travel tips about Tonga.
For this activity, imagine that you were asked to create a travel brochure for Tonga (or a country that is important to you). On the brochure, include lots of great tips about what to see and do in the country. On your blog, post your finished copy of your brochure.
*Remember to attribute the images that you use and write the information in your own words.
*Please check out the Eye-Catching Blog Posts page for ideas!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Worth her Weight in Gold [6 points]


Task Description : This week I am learning about how to finish a task within a time frame as well as doing the task propley and also to have fun . This task was my Favourtive task of today because I got to create this and research about the choosen country/Island I have picked. There is a twist I did two Islands for fun and made it look like a fun little presentation game i think anyways enjoy!! 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall Task Description : Todays given Task was pretty cool , I learnt new things that I didn't know about from Venus and Serena William and I enjoyed it! My favourtive task had to be the Last Task because it was fullfilled with researching and more!! God bless you and your family and friends and don't forget to stay tuned for more blog posts coming!!!

Want to Take Part in the Summer Learning Journey 2019 - 2020 Click here - SLJ 2019 - 2020 when you take part of the Summer Learning Journey you get points for completeing the tasks given and commenting on other peoples blogs too . All kids from year 3 - 8 can join . Once the Summer Learning Journey Programme has come to an end they will tally up the points to see who placed #1st #2nd and #3rd and the Spot prizes :) Good Luck Everyone !!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fact of the Day  - Did you know a bear has 42 teeths ?
Question of the Day - If you had a chance to change one thing about the world what would it be?

8 comments:

  1. Mōrena Lillyana,

    Congratulations for completing the activities Day 4 for Week 1! Ka pai :)

    I really enjoyed reading through all your activities. My absolute favourite was your travel brochure. You put so much interesting and fun information in there. So great to see! I also love how you would keep your name. Your parents chose such a beautiful name, I understand why you wouldn't want to change it :)

    If you could travel to Nuie or Tonga with your family, which one would you choose? I know both look like fantastic holiday destinations, but I'd love to know! :)

    Noho ora mai
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Erica,
      Thank you so much for the comment you have written!! I think I would travel to Niue first then to Tonga what about you ?
      Warm Regards ,
      Lillyana

      Delete
    2. Kia ora Lillyana,

      Thanks for getting back to me. Hope you've had a fun day! I think I would go to Niue first too. I've never been to Nuie before, and I'd love to go there and soak up the sun! :)

      Nga mihi
      Erica

      Delete
    3. Hey Erica ,
      Thanks for the comment! Me too Ive never been to Niue Before also!
      Kind Regards ,
      Lillyana

      Delete
  2. Talofa lava Lillyana,

    I will be commenting on activity 2.

    The origin of your name is lovely! I can understand why you wouldn't want to change your name. Are there any names that you like or think have a nice meaning behind it? Would love to know!

    Great work!
    - Riiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Riiana ,
      My bestfriends name is Rosiephine and I think that has a beautiful meaning behind it because it has 3 peoples name in it from her family! What is your meaning behind your lovely name?
      Im looking forward to your reply :)
      Lillyana

      Delete
    2. Hello Lillyana!

      Rosiephine is such a beautiful name!!

      Aww thank you! My mother named me 'Riiana' because of it being a Maori name, a culture that everyone in my family except my father are.

      - Riiana

      Delete
    3. Wow Riiana!
      Such an unique name :)

      Delete