Pages

Saturday 30 December 2017

Day 1 - ( Week Three: The Post War(s) Era (1951-1999 ) - ! Summer Learning Journey !

Summer Learning Journey!

Week Three: The Post War(s) Era (1951-1999 )
Day 1: White Picket Fences (The 1950s)


Cool Kiwi Fact #4: New Zealand is one of the few countries with two national anthems: “God Defend New Zealand,” which was adopted in 1977 serves as the co-national anthem alongside “God Save the Queen,” which is normally played only when a member of the royal family is present.




In the 1950s, things settled down in New Zealand. There were no international wars or intense, national conflicts. Many kiwis were able to settle down, get married, buy a home and start a family.


Activity 1: Meat and Three Veg
dinner (2).jpg
It was common for women in the 1950s to stay home with their children and raise their family. They were called ‘housewives.’ Many housewives followed a simple rule when they prepared the evening meal: the ‘meat and three veg’ rule. This meant that they prepared dinners that included three different vegetables and a type of meat (eg. beef, lamb, or chicken).

On your blog tell us if you think that the ‘meat and three veg’ rule is a good one. Do you like the rule? Would you enjoy eating a typical 1950s dinner? Why or why not?


Yes I do Think That It is a Great Rule and I would Enjoy Eating a Typical 1950's Dinner because it has Meat and Vegetables  . The Reason why I think that this is a Great Rule because that it has 1 Whole-meat and 3 different kinds of Vegetables and its a Great Dinner to have .  Also it helps the Younger Generation and have a Healthy Dinner to Eat 

Activity 2: What’s in a Name?
During the 1950s the population of New Zealand grew by 400,000 people. That is huge! In fact, so many people were having babies that many people refer to this period in our history as the ‘baby boom.’ Popular baby names in 1950s New Zealand were:

GIRLS BOYS
Christine John
Susan David
Margaret Peter
Judith Michael
Jennifer Robert


Read through the lists. Are these popular names in your school? On your blog, tell us which names are currently popular in your school. Please provide, at least, three girls’ names and three boys’ names that are popular.
When I was going to school, the name ‘Jennifer’ was the most popular girl’s name and the name ‘Matthew’ was the most popular boy’s name.

In My School

GIRLS
Amelia - 2 People
Leilani - 2 People
Marie ( 3 people )

Boys 

AJ - 3 People
John - 2 People 
TJ - 2 or 3 People 




Bonus Activity: Snail Mail

nz postcard.jpg
In the 1950s, most people communicated with one another by writing letters. According to the NZ history website, New Zealanders sent over 200 million letters and postcards between 1950 and 1960. That is an average of 87 letters per person!

For this activity, imagine that you are living in New Zealand in the 1950s. Use Google Draw* to design the front of a postcard that you could send to a friend. Try to include elements of Kiwiana in your design (e.g. Pohutukawa trees, Hokey Pokey ice cream, etc). Post a copy of your postcard picture to your blog. Be sure to describe what you have drawn on your blog beneath the picture.

*You will need to make a copy of the Google Draw template to create your postcard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is My Postcard of New Zealand


My Awesome Friend ( Fake ) she is from  USA and  She really wanted to know more about New Zealand so I had Decided to make her a New Zealand Postcard . 

So What I have done for my Postcard is I have used New Zealand things that are in NZ and I Used some Shapes and Word Art and To Be Honest I really Like how I have design my Post Card . Its not to Perfect it not it Overboard It just the way how I like it

Images Attribution's  - 













BONUS POINTS: 16

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Lillyana, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the meat and three veg rule. I liked reading your comments about it being healthy and good for young people in New Zealand. It certainly is a well balanced meal but do you think you will ever get sick of eating the same sort of meal each night?

    What do you usually have for dinner at your house?

    Wow your postcard is fantastic. You've managed to include so many different symbols and pictures. What made you select them? It would be cool if you could actually send it to someone. Have you ever received a postcard from someone?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Billy ,

      Thank you for the such amazing comment you have done !!!! I think I would maybe get sick of eating the same meat at the night but for me I really don't mind because we are even lucky to have food provided for us on the table and I am Grateful .

      In My House we have different kinds of Dinner's like Pork Ribs and Chicken and much more !!

      What made me Select those Picture's is because I was thinking that I should put a Maori Flag and a NZ Flag seconds later I knew that People in NZ is Pacific too so I had to add a Pacific Flag . Also while Thinking I had to added in some NZ Things like the Chirstmas tree & The Ice Cream and Much More !!!

      GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS ENJOY THE REST OF YOUR HOLIDAYS AND STAY SAFE AND PLEASE KEEP TUNED FOR MORE POST'S Coming !!!

      Cheer's with Kind Regards and Thanks

      Lillyana FG

      Delete