Pages

Wednesday 27 December 2017

Day 2 - ( Week Two : In the Beginning (1870-1950 ) - ! Summer Learning Journey !

Summer Learning Journey!

Week Two: A Period of Change (1870-1950)

Day 2: The Roaring 20’s (The 1920s)


Activity 1: Popular Culture – The Silent Movie
The 1920s saw a massive surge in the number of people going to the movies. Huge new cinemas were built in both Auckland (The Civic Theatre) and Dunedin (Empire De Luxe).  The most popular type of movies showing at local NZ cinemas were ‘silent’ films. Gold Rush is an example of an iconic silent film. It features a famous actor named Charlie Chaplin.

Watch the trailer for Gold Rush. On your blog, tell us what you think the movie is about. There are no words spoken movie so you will need to pay careful attention to what the actors are doing! Do you think you would enjoy watching a silent film? Why/Why not? I


I think that watching a Silent is Pretty ok sometimes because when a watch a Silent Film I can act out the voices and its pretty funny but sometimes watching Silent Film Its kinda Boring without sound . Also Watching it with sound is Pretty Cool because you get to hear the movie and the Sound Effects . To Be Honest I really don't mind Sound with Movie or Silent Film I am Happy with any .

Activity 2: Art Deco
In the 1920s a new artistic movement emerged in New Zealand (and around the world). It was called ‘Art Deco.’ The picture to the right is a classic example of an ‘Art Deco’ piece. Take a close look at the painting. Do you like it?

On your blog, give the painting a rating out of 5 stars (1 star = terrible painting, 2 stars = pretty bad painting, 3 stars = okay painting, 4 stars = good painting and 5 stars = amazing painting). After you’ve rated the painting out of 5, tell us why you gave it that rating.

Right: Self Portrait By Tamara de Lempicka

I Think Taking a Look at this Beautiful Art Deco Painting I would Rate it a 4 out of 5 which mean's 4 Stars = Good Painting the reason why I have Given This Art Deco Painting a 4 Stars because it only had a few colours and I wanted a Pop of colour like a Neon Bright Colour yeah like that kinda Pop of Colour . But at the End of the Day I give it 4 Stars = Good Painting overall .


Bonus Activity: Crossing the Tasman
In 1928, a crew of four men flew, for the first time, across the Tasman from Australia to New Zealand. One of the men on board the Southern Cross airplane was a New Zealander named T.H. McWilliams. His job was to operate the radio in the airplane. Unfortunately, the radio stopped working shortly after take-off and the rain and ice were so heavy that the pilot, Kingsford Smith, couldn’t see out of his front windscreen. Yikes! Fortunately, the plane made it all the way across the Tasman landing in Christchurch after a 14 hour trip.18,389 

Imagine that you were a member of the flight crew. Write a poem that describes how you would have felt when you landed safely in Christchurch after such a long trip. Remember, there are lots of different types of poems, and they don’t all have to rhyme. You can read more about different types of poems by clicking here.



My Poem

At Nighttime
Still In the Plane
It was Pitch Black Pitch Dark
I cound'nt see a thing
I screamed quietly
Flew 18,389 Km UK to NZ
Suddenly There was a Bright Light
we had finally Landed in Christchurch Safely
We Hopped off the Plane
I took a Clam Breath didn't scream

The End












BONUS POINTS: 10

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Lillyana, it's great to hear that you are open minded and wouldn't mind watching a silent film. I don't think I would be able to watch a film without any words or conversation. I just think I might get a bit bored. Movies today are so remarkable, with their special effects, sound and amazing camera techniques. This makes it hard to watch such an old film. Do you watch a lot of movies? What are some of your favourites?

    Thank you for also rating the painting and giving it four stars. I liked reading your reasons for giving it four stars. What else did you like about it besides the colour?

    What did you think of the lady and her outfit? Did you like the car she is in?

    Finally, I've really enjoyed the poem you have written. You've done a great job helping the reader to understand the emotions that would have been felt and experienced by the pilot. Have you written any other poems before? What is your favourite kind of poem?

    Thanks, Billy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Billy ,

    Thank you for the such amazing comment you have done on this Blogpost !!!! Yes I do Watch Movies . My Favoutive Movie's is The Three Wise Cousins & Much more ....... I Think the Lady's Outfit is Amazing is a Simple Colour and I just Like it . Yes I Like the Car that she is in is just a simple colour . Yes I have Written other Poems . I think my favourite kind of Poem is a Fun Narrative Poem .

    Have you ever Watched The Three Wise Cousin's Before ???

    GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS STAY SAFE AND ENJOY THE REST FOR YOUR HOLIDAYS ALSO STAY TUNED FOR MORE POST'S COMING !!! BYE BYE !!!!

    Kind Regards ,

    Lillyana

    ReplyDelete