Pages

Tuesday 7 January 2020

Week 2 Day 4 Summer Learning Journey 2019 - 2020

WEEK 2: I HAVE A DREAM...
Politics and Activism
DAY 4: INDIGENOUS RIGHTS
Activity 1 & 2 and 3 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 1: Guiding Principles [4 points] 
Image Attribution: Portrait of Hone Heke, William Duke, Public Domain
Hōne Heke was a rangatira (chief) of Ngapuhi iwi in Northland. He was a strong and fearless warrior, and also an intelligent leader who fought for Māori rights during the British colonisation of Aotearoa, New Zealand. He was baptised a Christian in 1835 and had much respect for the missionaries that came to New Zealand. Hōne Heke supported Te Tiriti o Waitangi - the Treaty of Waitangi - and was the first rangatira to sign it in 1840.

However he soon realised that under Te Tiriti o Waitangi, Māori rangatira were losing their authority (power). In protest, he cut down the flagpole that flew the British flag at Kororareka (Russell) four times. He must have been very frustrated and angry.
Sometimes when we feel strongly (frustrated, angry, happy, excited, in awe…) we find it hard to put our feelings into words. Many cultures have sayings, proverbs or metaphors that can help people to explain their feelings or describe specific things. In Te Reo Māori, some people may use a whakataukī.

For this activity, read through the seven whakataukī (proverbs or metaphors) presented in this document. Choose one that has meaning for you. Create a poster that features the whakataukī and be sure to include at least one image (a drawing or photograph) on the poster that represents the whakataukī that you chose.
On your blog, share your poster of your whakataukī. *Remember to attribute any images that you borrow from the internet or from other people. Please check out the Eye-Catching Blog Posts page for ideas!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 1: Guiding Principles [4 points]
Task Description : This week I am learning about how to finish a task within a time frame as well as doing the task propley and also to have fun . This task was all based on our chosen whakataukī , I thought the one I chosen was really meaningful and meant a lot to me , as it kinda describe my life! My Favourtive part of this task was writing a short description of why I chad chosen that whakataukī.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Celebrating Diversity [4 points] 
There are between 370 and 500 million Indigenous Peoples currently living in 90 countries around the world. Together, they represent over 5000 different cultures and speak 4000 different languages. That is pretty amazing ‘eh?! I wish that I could speak 4000 languages!

Indigenous People is the term used to describe the people who were the first inhabitants of a land. In Aotearoa, Māori are Indigenous. Indigenous people have rich and vibrant cultures that make the world such a fascinating, varied and enriching place to live.
Image Attribution: 2019 NAIDOC Poster by Charmaine Mumbulla is licensed under CC BY-NC-N4 4.0
For this activity we are going to become more familiar with some of these amazing indigenous communities. Please click on the links below to learn more about these fascinating groups.
Ainu People
Australian Aboriginal People
The Inuit People
Papuan People
The Maya People
Once you have finished learning about these groups, please choose the two that interest you the most.
On your blog tell us the names of the two groups that you chose and then tell us at least two interesting facts about each group. To earn full points, you must provide two facts about both groups - 4 facts in total.
*Remember to attribute any images that you borrow from the internet or from other people.
*Please check out the Eye-Catching Blog Posts page for ideas!
Image Attribution: Apirana Ngata 1905, Public Domain



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Celebrating Diversity [4 points]
 
Task Description : For this task I had to pick two groups out of the 5 groups given . They all had interesting statements and story's upon what had happened in the country. I deiced to go with Australia and Papa  New Guinea and I actually do not regret choosing them both because I got to learn different kinds of things in both country's!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Wise Words [4 points] 
Sir Āpirana Ngata and Dame Whina Cooper were both influential leaders who fought for Māori rights. Āpirana Ngata was a lawyer and politician. He worked hard to give rights to Māori land owners, and he also spent a lot of his career encouraging Māori to preserve the culture - haka, poi, whakairo (carving), waiata (song), sport and the construction of more marae around Aotearoa, New Zealand.

Whina Cooper was the first president of the Māori Women’s Welfare League, which worked on improving health, education, housing and welfare for Māori women in New Zealand in the 1950s. She led the Māori land hikoi (march) from Northland to Wellington to protest against the loss of Māori land. She was nearly 80 years old at the time. Both of these individuals are examples of wise, inspiring leaders and role models.

For this activity, please identify someone in your life who is a role model to you. This could be a parent, grandparent, neighbour, minister, imam, rabbi etc. Please ask them to share one piece of wisdom (advice) with you that they think you and your blog readers should hear.On your blog, share this wisdom with your readers. Be sure you tell us who you heard it from and to use speech marks (“...”) if you are writing down exactly what they said.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Wise Words [4 points]
Image Attribution - Wise Words Quote
Believe it or not, I have two role models which are my mum and dad, I couldn't choose between both of them because they were in my whole life and they both loved me and my siblings and taught us different things in my part of my life and my journey ever since to where I am now. They have both said and did a lot for me in my 12 years and 07 days living in my life I have and said a lot of wise words but this is the only ones I can remember when they told me.
Wise Words - Mum - " Get a good education and work, hard and redeem the rewards later on"
In my meaning of what my mum had told me that I should and always be putting my education and school first and learn heaps that will help me and my upcoming future. But also when working to work hard and put 100% into it and do it first time right without coming back and doing it, again and again, to do it right. As well as after all the hard work the rewards will be redeemed when I'm finished with everything .
Wise Words - Dad - " To live life to the fullest "
In my meaning of what my dad said that I should " Live life to the fullest" and make everything count, make the most with our loved ones because you'll never know when its time.

Task Description : For this task I had to ask and rethink a upon what our role model or role models said to us in wise words and quoting the saying upon what they said. I deiced to go and explain what my revision meaning behind my parents wise words.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall Task Description : HThis tasks that were given were pretty cool , My favourtive had to be the last activty because the words that were given to me or said was really inspiring me to keep goin and never give up and carry on with my upcoming furture ahead of me. Though each actvity I learnt something and learning something from every activty really did help me alot!God bless you and your family and friends and don't forget to stay tuned for more blog posts coming!!! Sorry Happy Late New Years Everyone!!



Yes , I know I was out for 13 days but that 13 days was a blast with my family and friends !! But also I am sorry for not posting in such a long time but here it is :) I will be trying to finish off Summer learning journey before it ends in a high standard:) 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fact of the Day - Did you know that Perth in Australia's windiest city

Question of the day - What Emotion Do You Experience The Most?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 comments:

  1. Talofa lava Lillyana,

    I really enjoyed reading through all your activities. Which activity has been your favourite to complete? The facts you chose about these two cultural groups are super interesting. I really like the fact about how long Aboriginal Australians lived in their home land - I had no idea it was 50,000 years. What is your favourite fact you have learnt through this activity?

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talofa Lava Erica ,
      My fav to do was Wise Words , My favorite fact in Acitvty 2 was every fact because I learnt from everyone!!
      Thanks for the comment ,
      Lillyana

      Delete
  2. Great collective activity posting Lilyana - which one did you learn the most about? I really enjoyed you activity 3 post - very thoughtful in your response. Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talofa Heather ,
      Thanks for the comment , I learnt the most about both groups but mostly Australia !
      Kind Regards ,
      Lillyana

      Delete
  3. Kia ora Lillyana!

    I will be commenting on activity 3.

    Your parents have said some motivational quotes. Thank you for sharing them! Do you remember anymore qoutes they've said?

    Sincerely,
    Riiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talofa Lava Riiana!
      At the moment no I haven't because there's so much in my head in the moment sorry :)
      Kind Regards ,
      Lillyana

      Delete