Pages

Friday 10 January 2020

Week 3 Day 3 Summer Learning Journey 2019 - 2020

WEEK 3: EXPERIMENTS AND GADGETS
Politics and Activism
DAY 3: INVENTIVE INVENTORS
Activity 1 & 2 and 3 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 1: Nanogirl [4 points] - Presentation
Michelle Dickinson, AKA “Nanogirl”, is a nanotechnologist. That is an engineer or scientist who works with very small items called “molecules.” Michelle is famous for creating cool shows about science which she performs in schools around New Zealand. When she isn’t performing, she is
working as a scientist in her own lab in Auckland. Over the years she has written two books and won many awards including the New Zealand Women of Influence in Innovation and Science Award and The New Zealand Order of Merit for her innovative work.
Like Michelle, many people in New Zealand like to create nano-sized (tiny) things. Some people even like to build tiny houses. For this activity, please visit the ‘Build Tiny New Zealand’ website and scroll to the bottom of the page where you will find a series of Video Tours of tiny houses. Watch any three videos on the site. On your blog, tell us whether, or not, you would like to live in a tiny house one day. Please be sure to tell us why you feel the way that you do.
*Remember to attribute any images that you borrow from the internet or from other people. *Please check out the Eye-Catching Blog Posts page for ideas!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 1: Nanogirl [4 points] 

Task Description : This task was based on weather I would like to stay in a Tiny house or not reasons why and how come. I deiced to tell you guys the reasons and also give a heart life lesson about it! I really enjoyed this task because I got to my Life Lesson that is important of all us Humans to listen and hear and read and realize it .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Printing Prosthetic's [4 points] - Writing 
In 1983 a man named Chuck Hull invented the first 3D printer. A 3D printer follows a design that has been created on a computer. The printer simply ‘prints out’ the design in layers, often using a material like plastic. 3D printing has changed the way we are designing and manufacturing (creating) all sorts of things. It is possible to 3D print parts for machines, buildings and even humans!
If you have ever broken an arm and needed a plaster cast you will know that they’re not much fun to wear - especially in summer! Here in New Zealand, a man named Jake Evill has designed a lighter 3D printed plaster cast that is strong, recyclable, waterproof, and ventilated (let’s air in). Check out his design here.For this activity, we would like you to learn more about 3D printed prosthetics (artificial body parts, like hands or arms). Please watch this video about 3D printed prosthetics (artificial body parts, like hands or arms).
On your blog, tell your readers: One thing that you learned from watching this video and One thing that surprised you when watching this video *Please check out the Eye-Catching Blog Posts page for ideas!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 2: Printing Prosthetic's [4 points]
Image Attribution : Quote
One thing that surprised me - 1 Thing that surprised me was the whole video because I didn't know until now that 3-D-Printed Prosthetic Hands were existed but now I do and its such a good programme that helps kids and adults who has lost there hand
One thing that I learnt - I had learnt that you can be able to change the world and kids and adults lives if you think creatively and carefully and put the work in. I also Learnt that everyone should be thankful and grateful to have not losted there hand unlike this unfortunate beautiful kids and adults with big hearts and also it shows you can make anything with anything in this world for sure!!

Task Description : This task was based on learning and finding out what the world has been doing to help us humans. This really got me , and it inspired me that I can do anything with anything but also having a privilege to still have my two hands and 10 fingers with me. This task shows me how thankful I should be and am thanks SLJ!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Need for Speed [6 points] - Poster
We have had many inventors here in New Zealand who have created things that have changed the world. Two of these inventors were Bill Hamilton (1899-1978) and John Britten (1950-1995).

Bill Hamilton grew up on a farm in the South Island of New Zealand. One of his first inventions was a tow rope to pull skiers up a ski field. His most famous invention, however, is the development of the modern jet boat engine. It allows boats, like the Huka Falls Jet, to travel at lightning speed along rivers. Bill Hamilton invented the jet boat to solve a problem.

John Britten, on the other hand, loved to rebuild vehicles, including motorbikes. He set up the Britten Motorcycle Company from his garage in Christchurch, New Zealand. One of his bikes, the V1000, won a number of international races and set a world speed record for going 304km per hour! Wow! Now that is fast…!
Speaking of fast, for this activity we would like you to design your own fast vehicle. It can be anything! Please draw your super-fast vehicle on paper or use an app to help you. If it was me, I would make my super-fast vehicle something that I could use to get to school and home again each day!
On your blog, post a picture of your speedy vehicle along with a written description of how it works. Tell your readers what your vehicle is made of, any special features, how fast it goes, and who might use your vehicle. *Please check out the Eye-Catching Blog Posts page for ideas!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Activity 3: Need for Speed [6 points]
Task Description : For this task was designing our own cars and telling everything about our designed cars and what it does. The design/car I have choosen was pretty simple but cool and faster than other cars , plus I really like it and it fits me well! 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall Task Description : Today I have Completed Day 3 of Week 3 of the Summer Learning Journey Programme and I'm am so proud of myself! Today my favourtive activity was activity #1 the most reasons why is in activity #1's Task Description :) I learnt a lot today in this Summer Learning Journey Day to be It was based on the first 2 was based on Gratefulness in my eyes!!
 On most days I am going to be posting 2 SLJ days in 1 real life day or if I have a lot going on I will just do 1 SLJ day in 1 real life day! Today I Competed Day 1 of  Week 3. Later on today I'll be doing Day 2 Week 3 :) Thanks for taking the take the time to Read my Blog!!!May God Bless you and your family and friends and hope yous all a stay safe for this Summer holidays!! Don't forget to come back and see what new posts I post!!

Want to Take Part in the Summer Learning Journey 2019 - 2020 ? Click here - SLJ 2019 - 2020 when you take part of the Summer Learning Journey you get points for completing the tasks given and commenting on other peoples blogs too . All kids from year 3 - 8 can join . Once the Summer Learning Journey Programme has come to an end they will tally up the points to see who placed #1st #2nd and #3rd and the Spot prizes :) Good Luck Everyone !!!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fact Of the Day - Did you know that the oldest known vegetable is the pea?
Question of the Day - If you had the chance to go on a Family Vacation where would you go?

16 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Lillyana

    Great work on Completing Day 3 Week 3 Task. I really like your Mustang Drawing it is amazing My dream car is similar it's the dodge charger 1970.

    Great Job Keep Blogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Viliami ,
      Thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Another awesome collection of activities that you have posted on your blog for the SLJ Lilyana...

    I have to say that a tiny-house is not for me... I'm amazed what 3D printers can do and... does the car come in a range of colours? Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather ,
      Yes they do come in different colours but I prefer Matt shiny Black since that colour is hard to get dirty! Thank you also for the comment!!

      Delete
  3. Mōrena Lillyana,

    How are you enjoying your holidays? Are you enjoying the sunshine? :)

    You really blew my away with your opinion piece about tiny houses. I completely agree - there are people who don't have a place to call home, and living in any place is a privilege. I can tell you are a deep and caring thinker, it's really inspiring to read.

    Nga mihi
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Afternoon Erica ,
      Yes I am so enjoying my holidays how about you? Im kinda not really enjoying the sunshine because Im more of a night person because its hot but every nice when the sun is out.
      Thanks for the amazing Comment ,
      Lillyana

      Delete
    2. Kia ora Lillyana,

      I'm enjoying the holiday's for sure! It's really my time off from studying so I have really tried to unwind. That's interesting that you don't really enjoy the sunshine, I get what you mean - it has been HOT. What do you enjoy doing in your holiday's if you're not out in the sun? :)

      Nga mihi
      Erica

      Delete
    3. Kia Ora Erica,
      Sometimes I like to take naps or read books as well as do some cool fun crafts what about you?
      All the best ,
      Lillyana

      Delete
  4. Kia ora Lillyana

    CONGRATULATIONS and well done for finishing this years' SLJ programme, "Changemakers: People who have changed the world" - you're the SECOND learner from Pt England School to finish the programme, how amazing! We're all very proud of you Lillyana and I hope that you're proud of yourself, too.

    Thanks for completing these 3 activities in one post - I'm going to comment on your first activity, Nanogirl - like Erica, I too am blown away by your opinion about living in a Tiny House. I'm really impressed to read that you understand that having any form of living space is a privilege - what a deep and caring thought!
    I'm all for Tiny Houses - to me it seems like the only sustainable way forward - the housing crisis in Auckland is HUGE and 'going tiny' seems like the best way to combat that issue. It would be very difficult to change peoples ideals though, it seems that we as humans have always had an issue with giving up space.

    Keep up the great mahi, Lillyana and don't forget to comment on other learners' SLJ related blog posts to increase your chances of winning some really great prizes!!

    Ngā mihi nui
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Jordan ,
      Thank you so much for the amazing thoughtful Comment you guys have taken off your time from your daily routine to come and comment on one of my posts! Yes I will be commenting on other peoples blog thoughout the remaining of the Holidays :) God Bless you and have a great night and stay safe!!
      Kind Regards ,
      Lillyana

      Delete
  5. Hello Lillyana!

    I will be commenting on activity 3.

    That is an amazing drawing! I would love to sit on a car seat that feels like a marshmallow! Would your car be up for sale? If so, how much would it cost?

    Looking forward to your response,
    Riiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Riiana!
      I don't think I would like to sale my car :) But if I did I would Cost it $ 509,830 considering it has a triple turbo it that is pretty expensive :)
      Thanks ,
      Lillyana

      Delete
    2. Hello again!

      Naww that's alright!! I don't know anything about cars so I'm stuck with believing that that's a reasonable price!

      - Riiana

      Delete
    3. Hi Riiana!
      Thank you very much ,
      -Lillyana

      Delete
  6. Hello Lillyana. I like your post. Keep it up.
    Have a great and awesome day.
    Augustine

    ReplyDelete